Hello, My name is Matt (aka kennelboy), I am one of a small number of males who work in the animal care industry. Throughout the course of this blog, I will be discussing what it is like to work and live animal through the eyes of a male.
I own five dogs and three cats who I love dearly. There’s Charli, she is a big, lovable lab mutt who just loves to chase the kitty and get exercise. There’s Mickey, who is another lab mix, he loves everybody he meets no matter who you are. There is also Spencer, the basset hound mix, the neighbors just love her, she loves to talk to them all the time. There is Rocky, the hound, pointer mix, who’s name suits him well, as he is about as bright as a box of rocks. The little guy of the bunch, Ollie the chi-weenie, is easily frightened but can be just as loving at times. Finally, the cats, Daisy, she is a loving kitty who just wants the dogs to leave her alone, there are also Moo and Stache, they are the two sisters of the group. Even though sometime they can be quite a handful, at the end of the day, they are all happy to be in a loving, caring environment.
I work at a local animal hospital which benefits dogs and cats in my area. The animal hospital has two great doctors that are loved by many people through out my local area. In the hospital there are also three veterinary technicians who love their jobs to death and wouldn’t do anything else. There are two receptionists who are the most important people in the hospital. And in the kennel, with me, there is one other person.
Are you sick of your four legged companion tearing up your furniture or digging in the trash due to boredom? If so, then this is the thing for you, and it is rather inexpensive.
All you need for this project is a PVC Pipe and PVC joints (I think that’s what they’re called) and some dog treats
Just connect the pipes and joints until they closely resemble the letter ‘Z’. Then place your pup’s favorite treats inside it and let them have at it.
Information and ideas for this page from: http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/every-dog-owner-should-learn-these-20-diy-pet-projects.html
For this fun idea you only need three things. They include, duct tape, a leash hook, and scissors. Be sure to measure your tape and leash hook before you start as they all come in different sizes. Note: these leashes have not been tested on dogs that pull. use with caution
- Cut a length of tape 60 inches long (152.4 cm for those of you over seas or anywhere that isn’t the US)
- Lay the tape on a flat surface, sticky side up.
- Seeing that you have already measured the leash hook, fold one side of the duct tape to match the length of the leash hook (the part that connects to the leash, not the end that connects to the dog) and make sure there are no bumps.
- Repeat step 3 with the other side that you have not folded in to the middle.
- Insert one end of the duct tape into the leash hook and fold it back at least 2 inches (5.08 cm).
- Cut a 3 inch (7.62 cm) piece of duct tape and place it over the fold that you made in step 5
- Flip over the leash so the sticky side of the 3 inch (7.62 cm) piece of tape is up and seal the edges making sure to line up the patterns if you have one on your tape.
- create a loop at the other end of the leash for your hand. and repeat steps six and seven for this loop.
parts of this idea were borrowed from
- Sew Doggy Style. Sew Doggy Style. 14 August 2013. Blog. 8 April 2017.
If you live in the warm climates, like I do, then you know this can be a fun time for the mosquito population and fleas to attack your pup. The mosquitoes could spread deadly heartworms and the fleas can cause internal parasites and much discomfort.
To avoid these costly issues, you could spend an arm and a leg at the vet on some flea control and heartworm prevention which trust me, is not easy to give. Or you could go the natural route and try some lavender oil.
Lavender oil (fleas) and peppermint oil (mosquitoes) are found to repel mosquitoes and fleas for a couple days. If applied properly, your pup should be flea and mosquito free.
To make the special concoction you will need:
- 2 ounces of distilled or boiled water
- 1.5 ounces of witch hazel
- and 50-75 drops of the lavender oil and peppermint oil
Mix them all together in a 4 ounce clean spray bottle and can be sprayed on your pooch’s collar or on the dog. This product should be applied every few days to keep the pests away.
WARNING: DO NOT USE THIS ON CATS!!
Information from http://tasty-yummies.com/homemade-essential-oil-insect-repellent-spray/?m
What you will need:
- a large container
- some of your dog’s favorite toys (make sure they are water proof)
- a freezer
How to make this fun popsicle:
- gather all of the ingredients listed above
- put the water in the container and place the toys in the water
- place the container with the toys and water in the freezer and allow it to sit for 2-3 hours (if not completely frozen place it back in the freezer for a little longer)
- give it to your pup and watch him/her go to work on getting the toys out of the ice block
idea and image from: http://barkpost.com/3-dog-toys-you-can-make-from-things-around-the-house/
It’s that time of year again, seeing the relatives, easter egg hunts, and all the fun that goes along with it. So, why not include the dog in on the fun.
What you will need:
- Plastic eggs
- dog treats
- willing participants
Set up: First, you will want to fill the eggs with the yummy treats. Next, place the eggs around your backyard. Then, let the dogs loose to find them. It will be entertaining for you and them.